[Skip to Content]
Glossary of Terms
- A through hardened roller used to support the die cutting tool in rotary die cutting applications.
- Brand Protection
- The addition of holograms or security features to add value and protection to a product.
- Embossing and debossing are the processes of creating either raised or recessed relief images and designs in paper and other materials. An embossed pattern is raised against the background, while a debossed pattern is sunken into the surface of the material (but might protrude somewhat on the reverse, back side).
- Foil Saving
- A method to save foil between images in rotary hot foiling.
- A 3D image applied by means of heat with a rotary Hot foil unit. Holograms are used to provide brand protection and give consumers assurance that the product is genuine.
- The amount of pressure applied to create foil, ink transfer and correct cutting.
- Register Control
- The means by which a process is aligned (print to print, print to cut, print to foil). RL uses bespoke software with servo control.
- Rotary Converting
- The use of rotary die cutting tools and equipment to convert raw material into a finished product in one pass. Rotary converting is used inline to a printing machine.
- Rotary Hot Foiling
- Hot stamping is a dry printing method of lithography in which predried ink or foils are transferred to a surface at high temperatures. The non-polluting method has diversified since its rise to prominence in the 19th century to include a variety of colors and processes. Widely used on plastic and paper (where it is a common technique in security printing, it is applicable to other sources as well.
- Security Applications
- Security printing is the field of the printing industry that deals with the printing of items such as banknotes, passports, tamper-evident labels, product authentication, stock certificates, postage stamps and identity cards. The main goal of security printing is to prevent forgery, tampering, or counterfeiting. More recently many of the techniques used to protect these high-value documents have become more available to commercial printers whether they are using the more traditional offset and flexographic presses or the newer digital platforms. Businesses are protecting their lesser-value documents such as transcripts, coupons and prescription pads by incorporating some of the features listed below to ensure that they cannot be forged or that alteration of the data cannot occur undetected.
- Servo Motor
- A brushless motor for high accuracy movement.
- Code written to provide control over a process, formats include basic, ladder, block and CODESYS.
> Printing & Converting > Security > Brand Protection > Print Protection > Print Finishing
> Hologram Applications > Rotary Foiling > Tobacco Industry > Special Applications
Terms and Conditions >
Glossary of Terms >